How to Cure Writer's Block

Dear friends,

As you might have guessed by the title I had writer's block for the last week. It sucked and was something I haven't dealt with since my time at University. The feeling frightened me, concerned it would never end, never able to reach my dream of completing a novel. I know there are millions of us out there, that: dream of writing fulltime, are freelancers by trade, journalists etc. A great community I have been able to tap into and seek support. Websites like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. A place I wanted to share my advice, what worked for me, something that could help you.  

1. Clean and rearrange your workspace

This is one of the things that worked for me recently, also a few years ago, even if your workspace is the kitchen table. I have a desk in my bedroom, covered in random character notes, overflowing with beautiful notebooks and generally just an uninspiring area. It felt stagnant and a place I could not concentrate. I took everything out/off the surface and cleaned it. Purging notebooks that were taking up too much space and filing away paperwork I needed for later. It really helped the flow of my workspace and my inspiration twinkled a little from the darkness

2. Create a playlist

You can divide this in many ways: background music, emotion themed playlist, music you love etc. I work with emotion playlists - it helps me tap into the emotion of my character - or the subject I am writing about that day.

3. Take yourself somewhere new

The psychology behind this one is not dissimilar to number 1 of this list when an area can feel stagnant. Take yourself on a train or bus and go somewhere new, even if its a town next to yours, with your notebook safely with you. Inspiration can strike from places as small as a sentence or a random picture you took on the small getaway. 

4. Freewrite

Freewriting is like an old best friend, someone you see a few times a year or for a two-week holiday/vacation. I rely on this a lot during times of creative need. The practice is to write for a timed period, whatever pops into your head if you don't know what to write put that down if you see a dog write about the dog. It can really help unplug that block in your mind. 

5. Seek advice from someone you trust

Quite simply - It can really help to bounce ideas off someone. Contact someone you trust and talk about your project. What they take from it as an audience member/where they think it's going/what message they have taken from it so far. My best friend from university, hi Gregory if you're reading, is always great with honest feedback and sometimes a brief chat with him can create a second wind within me. If you don't have someone in your life like that join a community thread and talk to them. 

6. Changing perspective

This can be several things: write a character diary of your protagonist, as a reader (what would you need to know), what do you the message of your project to be?

7. Make an inspiration board

This one is simple - create a visual interpretation of your project - fill it any way you want. Put it near or on your workspace.

8. Read the project out loud

Sometimes writer's block can manifest itself because of subconscious thoughts you have. Maybe there's a phrase you don't like, a character you can do without etc. Read it out loud and find passages or sentences that has thrown you off.

If you have any tips: leave a comment below, or here for my instagram or twitter. Speak to you on saturday.

As always,
Love Mavis xoxo

1 comment:

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com